As many students are preparing to apply this fall of 2020 for internships for the 2021-2022 academic year, we are delighted to share this announcement to remind you of the doctoral school psychology internship opportunity in California, the Santa Barbara Psychology Internship Consortium (SB-PIC) (APPIC #2455). We are delighted to have 5 sites / slots for 2020-2021, and interns can apply to any or all of the sites. The due date for submissions is December 1, early submissions are encouraged. All interviews for the SB-PIC internship will be completed remotely via ZOOM on January 12th.
The SB-PIC mission is to train doctoral school psychology interns dedicated to serving children and their families. Each of the schools and professionals participating in the SB-PIC are committed to preparing well-rounded school psychologists to facilitate the social, emotional, behavioral, and cognitive development and academic success of a diverse population of students.
All the important details about the opportunities in the SB-PIC are available on the website: sb-pic.org
A few highlights:
- There are 5 internship slots located in schools for 2021-2022 (see website for specific locations in Santa Barbara County)
- Each intern receives a stipend of $30,000 (for 10.5 months / 1500+ hours, can arrange for more if needed)
- The consortium includes faculty and staff of Santa Barbara County Special Education Local Plan Area (SB-SELPA) and the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
- Each of the sites are located in Santa Barbara county, which is located on the central coast of California with a mild climate, ocean, mountain, forest, and agricultural access throughout the county: countyofsb.org
- The internship infrastructure builds upon a decade of collaborations between SB-SELPA, UCSB, and schools throughout Santa Barbara County.
- Didactic training will highlight contemporary research addressing: multi-tiered systems of support; assessment of culturally and linguistically diverse students, screening and supporting student mental health; early childhood screening, assessment, and intervention; assessing and supporting students with Autism; consultation to support teachers and students; behavioral assessment and intervention; crisis preparedness and response; and reading interventions.
- All candidates who share a commitment to promoting the social, emotional, behavioral, and cognitive development and academic success of a diverse population of students are encouraged to apply. Furthermore, those candidates who are fluent in Spanish, English and other languages are especially encouraged to apply.
- Check out our awesome SB-PIC current and recent interns on the SB-PIC website.
- The SB-PIC has been developed to provide doctoral training consistent with the CDSPP, APA, NASP, and CA CTC guidelines for internships in school psychology. The program is an APPIC member (#2455), we are working on it, but not yet APA accredited at this time.
To apply for an internship, complete an online AAPI application (available at www.appic.org).
The SB-PIC program participates in the national match (natmatch.com).
Santa Barbara Psychology Internship Consortium is included in the APPIC Directory on Line (DoL)
APPIC SB-PIC Program Member Code #2455
Applicants can apply to any or all of the SB-PIC tracks.
The names and codes of each track are as following;
SB-PIC Santa Barbara School District (245511)
SB-PIC Gaudalupe School District (245512)
SB-PIC Santa Maria School District (245513)
SB-PIC Santa Ynez Valley School District (245514)
SB-PIC Santa Barbara County SELPA Office (245515)
The SB-PIC website (sb-pic.org) provides extensive information about the SB-PIC.
FAQs Got sun? Got sand? Got surf? Got yoga? Got sunsets over the ocean? Got mountains? Got national forests? Got beaches for long walks? Got trails for hikes? Got wine tasting? Got a year-round mild climate? Got high-quality supervision? Got an emphasis on advancing evidence-based practice? Got diverse children and families? Got linguistically diverse learners? Got monthly “fun” progress monitoring? Got internship opportunities for school psychology doctoral students? SB-PIC = YES WE GOT IT!
If you have additional questions, please email Dr. Jimerson at Jimerson@ucsb.edu
Santa Barbara Psychology Internship Consortium (SB-PIC) sb-pic.org
Co-Directors of Operations
Dr. Ray Avila
Dr. Shane Jimerson
Director of Clinical Training
Dr. Erin Dowdy