Early Career Resources
The resources below are designed to provide guidance and opportunities for Early Career School Psychologists—spanning information on certification and licensure, finding jobs, starting a successful career, and so forth. In addition, we recommend visiting APA Central’s early career development website.
To contact the Division 16 Early Career Workgroup Board, please email D16ECP@gmail.com.
Those interested in submitting a link for potential inclusion on this webpage may do so here.
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Accredited Internship Programs
- Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
Detailed information on school-based credentialing requirements by state can be found by visiting NASP’s website, here.
Resources to Begin and Thrive in an Academic Career
- Pathways to academic careers for school psychologists
- So you want to be a professor? Perspectives on the academic job search process (Part 1)
- So you want to be a professor? (Part 2)
- So you landed a job – What’s next? Advice for early career psychologists from early career psychologists
- Work-life balance in academic careers
- Surviving and Thriving in Academia: A Guide for Members of Marginalized Groups
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- Brown University’s “Preparing for your First Year as a Faculty Member”
- Society for the Study of School Psychology Early Career Forum
Resources for Those Pursing a Private Practice
- Division 16’s job board
- APA career search website: PsycCareers
- NASP career search website: Career Center
- Society for the Study of School Psychology’s Early Career Forum
- Chronicle Vitae
- Inside Higher Ed’s job board
The School Psychologist, Early Career Corner
- Professors in Private Practice: To Be or Not To Be on Insurance Panels (Fall 2016)
- Globalization of School Psychology: Insights & Opportunities for Early Career Psychologists (Fall 2016)
- Professors in Private Practice: Recommendations for a Successful Practice as a Faculty Member (Summer 2016)
- Reviewing Manuscripts for Publication (Winter 2016)
- Highlights from Convention (August 2015)
- Towards structuring a productive summer: Tips for the early career professional (April 2015)
- Addressing and meeting the needs of Div. 16’s early career members (January 2015)
- Preparing for the EPPP as a school psychologist (April 2014)
- Focus on early career psychologists: Div. 16’s new workgroup (January 2014)
Those with suggestions for future topics may contact Stacy-Ann January (email@example.com).
Funding & Awards for ECPs
- Division 16’s Lightner Witmer Award
- American Psychological Association Early Career Funding Opportunities
- Society for the Study of School Psychology Early Career Research Awards
- Society of the Study of School Psychology Research Collaboration Conference
- National Association for School Psychologists’ Paul H. Henkin Memorial Travel Scholarship Award
- Trainers of School Psychologists Junior Faculty Development Award
- Institute of Education Sciences Early Career Development Grants
- National Institutes of Health Early Career Investigator Policies
- What you need to know to get licensed
- Creating an Independent Developmental for Your Post-Doc
- DiLillo, D., DeGue, S., Cohen, L. M., & Morgan, R. D. (2006).The path to licensure for academic psychologists: How tough is the road? Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 5, 567-586.
- Vaughn, T. J. (Ed.). (2006). Psychology Licensure and Certification: What Students Need to Know. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
The Early Career Blog
Call for Applications – Early Career Psychologists (ECP) Workgroup of APA Division 16
Created in 2014, Early Career Psychologists (ECP) Workgroup of APA Division 16 seeks to address the needs of ECPs within Division 16. The ECP Workgroup is currently accepting applications for the positions of Chair-Elect and ECP Workgroup Liaison. More detailed...
Join Us for Division 16 Social Hours at APA 2022!
Division 16 looks forward to seeing you in Minneapolis next week! Please note that the division is sponsoring two opportunities to socialize and network with colleagues during convention this year: Child & Family Mega-Social Hour Thursday, August 4 6:00 – 6:50pm...
Call for Proposals to the Early Career Research Awards Program (ECRA) – SSSP
The Society for the Study of School Psychology (SSSP) invites proposals for the funding of projects by Early Career Research Award (ECRA) applicants that are consistent with the SSSP’s purposes of advancing scholarship in and about school psychology and promoting the...
APA Division 16 Call for Award Nominations
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Outstanding Dissertation Award Each year, the Division of School Psychology presents an Outstanding Dissertation in School Psychology Award to a school psychology student who has completed a dissertation that merits special recognition because of...
APA Convention Proposal Reviewers Needed!
We are seeking reviewers for proposals for the 2022 APA Convention that will be held in Minneapolis, MN from August 4-6, 2022. We anticipate that each reviewer will be assigned 4 - 6 proposals submitted for divisional programming as posters, discussions, or symposia....