Early Career Resources
The resources below are designed to provide guidance and opportunities for Early Career School Psychologists—spanning information on certification and licensure, finding jobs, starting a successful career, and so forth. In addition, we recommend visiting APA Central’s early career development website.
To contact the Division 16 Early Career Workgroup Board, please email D16ECP@gmail.com.
Those interested in submitting a link for potential inclusion on this webpage may do so here.
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Accredited Internship Programs
- Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
Detailed information on school-based credentialing requirements by state can be found by visiting NASP’s website, here.
Resources to Begin and Thrive in an Academic Career
- Pathways to academic careers for school psychologists
- So you want to be a professor? Perspectives on the academic job search process (Part 1)
- So you want to be a professor? (Part 2)
- So you landed a job – What’s next? Advice for early career psychologists from early career psychologists
- Work-life balance in academic careers
- Surviving and Thriving in Academia: A Guide for Members of Marginalized Groups
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- Brown University’s “Preparing for your First Year as a Faculty Member”
- Society for the Study of School Psychology Early Career Forum
Resources for Those Pursing a Private Practice
The School Psychologist, Early Career Corner
- Professors in Private Practice: To Be or Not To Be on Insurance Panels (Fall 2016)
- Globalization of School Psychology: Insights & Opportunities for Early Career Psychologists (Fall 2016)
- Professors in Private Practice: Recommendations for a Successful Practice as a Faculty Member (Summer 2016)
- Reviewing Manuscripts for Publication (Winter 2016)
- Highlights from Convention (August 2015)
- Towards structuring a productive summer: Tips for the early career professional (April 2015)
- Addressing and meeting the needs of Div. 16’s early career members (January 2015)
- Preparing for the EPPP as a school psychologist (April 2014)
- Focus on early career psychologists: Div. 16’s new workgroup (January 2014)
Those with suggestions for future topics may contact Stacy-Ann January (email@example.com).
Funding & Awards for ECPs
- Division 16’s Lightner Witmer Award
- American Psychological Association Early Career Funding Opportunities
- Society for the Study of School Psychology Early Career Research Awards
- Society of the Study of School Psychology Research Collaboration Conference
- National Association for School Psychologists’ Paul H. Henkin Memorial Travel Scholarship Award
- Trainers of School Psychologists Junior Faculty Development Award
- Institute of Education Sciences Early Career Development Grants
- National Institutes of Health Early Career Investigator Policies
- What you need to know to get licensed
- Creating an Independent Developmental for Your Post-Doc
- DiLillo, D., DeGue, S., Cohen, L. M., & Morgan, R. D. (2006).The path to licensure for academic psychologists: How tough is the road? Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 5, 567-586.
- Vaughn, T. J. (Ed.). (2006). Psychology Licensure and Certification: What Students Need to Know. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
The Early Career Blog
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Outstanding Dissertation Award Each year the Division of School Psychology presents an Outstanding Dissertation in School Psychology Award to a school psychology student who has completed a dissertation that merits special recognition because of...
Div. 12/ Theodore Blau Early Career Award for Outstanding Contribution to Professional Clinical Psychology: $2,000 Due November 19, 2020 $2,000 to honor a clinical psychologist for professional accomplishments in clinical psychology. More information:...
Created in 2014, The Early Career Professional (ECP) Workgroup of APA Division 16 seeks to address the needs of ECPs within Division 16. The ECP Workgroup is currently accepting applications for one position of Member-at-Large. More detailed information about the ECP...
October 2020- January 2021 Request for Proposals. Apply online for all programs here: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=apa& FAQ:https://www.apa.org/apf/funding/grants/faqs Questions? Email APF’s program coordinator, Julia, at firstname.lastname@example.org Div....
The Committee on Children, Youth, and Families & Divisions 7, 16, 37, 43 invite you to our virtual socializing event: Networking Together to Advance Children’s Mental Health and Well-Being Social Hour. WHEN Thursday, August 6th 6:00-7:00 p.m. Eastern Time HOW TO...